ABOUT THE LOUISIANA NURSING FOUNDATION
The Louisiana Nurses Foundation (LNF) was organized in 1986 as the research, education and charitable subsidiary of the Louisiana State Nurses Association. The original focus was that of establishing and financing the Louisiana Program for Impaired Nurses (LaNIP). This program was designed to assist chemically impaired nurses. In the 1990s, the Louisiana State Board of Nursing established the Recovering Nurse Program and LaNIP was discontinued. Since that time, the focus of LNF activities has been fundraising, the support of educational activities and efforts to recognize nursing accomplishments. The LNF sought and received tax exempt status under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code as described in section 501(c)3 as a tax exempt organization – thereby allowing grantors and contributors to deduct contributions on their income tax filings.
In support of the mission and goals of LSNA, the LNF exists
- To improve the quality of health care in Louisiana by the promotion, improvement and protection of professional nursing through education, advocacy, communication, and professional integrity.
- To collect and distribute monies for specific projects and programs to meet the needs of individual nurses and/or groups of nurses.
- To provide educational opportunities to nurses relative to issues of current concerns and/or in areas where continuing educational opportunities are limited.
- To promote the development, implementation, and utilization of nursing accomplishments among the nursing community and/or the public.
- To provide funds for registered nurses continuing their education through formalized degree granting programs.
- To promote the development, implementation and utilization of nursing research.
- Nightingale Gala - The “Nightingale Gala” is an annual event which recognizes the achievements of nurses across the state in a variety of categories. Nominations are made by their colleagues, the nominations are sent to out of state judges for ranking and they are recognized at the Nightingale Gala.
- Nurses Relief Fund - The “Nurses Relief Fund” which, following Hurricane Katrina, was developed to assist nurses who had been devastated by the effects of the storm. A total of $156,714.60 was collected and over 300 nurses were given funds to assist them during the recovery period. The purpose of the fund has been extended to assist nurses in need. Click here for more information.
- Promise of Nursing Grants - The “Promise of Nursing Gala” was cosponsored by LNF and with Johnson and Johnson, to raise money to assist nursing schools in Louisiana to increase their capacity to enroll nursing students and thereby help to alleviate the nursing shortage in Louisiana. Over $189,000 was raised and eight nursing programs in Louisiana received one time grants of up to $25,000 to implement their projects.
- Louisiana License Plate - A LNF Louisiana License Plate was designed and the arduous task of gaining approval by the appropriate governmental agencies (which took over 4 years) was completed. The cost of the plate is $50.00 over the normal renewal fee and LNF receives that $50.00! Click here for more information.
- Nursing Scholarships - The Mollie C. and Larene B. Woodard Nursing Scholarship was established to assist needy nursing students in Louisiana to complete their nursing education. $100,000.00 was donated and fifteen Louisiana nursing students were selected to receive $2,500 per term for academic expenses. To continue its activities, LNF needs your assistance/donations!
NURSES HELPING THEIR PROFESSION... WHO DONATES TO LNF?
Individuals, Corporations and other Foundations!
Your financial support is crucial in achieving the Foundation’s initiatives. Click here to make a donation and thank you in advance for your generosity!
Contributions may be restricted to a particular initiative of your choice or unrestricted to be allocated to a specific area of need at the discretion of the Board of Directors.