LSNA RN Test Prep for Certification in Gerontological Nursing
2017-2018 Scholarship Program
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED!
The Louisiana State Nurses Association (LSNA) is pleased to announce the availability of up to thirty (30) scholarships for the RN Test Prep Program for Certification in Gerontological Nursing offered in partnership with the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC). The RN Test Prep Program is an online learning course that prepares RNs to pass the Gerontological Certification Exam and attain national certification as a Gerontological Nurse (RN-BC). Scholarships will cover the online course through UNMC and costs for taking the national certification exam.
About the RN Test Prep Program and Gerontological Certification Exam
The course focuses on nursing assessment and management of older adults experiencing normal aging changes as well as major health problems and diseases. The course:
- Emphasizes communicating with older adults as individuals in therapeutic ways, with consideration of diversity and unique needs
- Focuses on the role of the expert gerontological nurse – as the leader of the nursing care team, collaborator with other team members, educator of patients and staff.
- Provides a broad foundation of clinical knowledge and skills that prepares RNs for ANCC Certification Exam in Gerontological Nursing.
The program is drawing very positive reviews from long term care and assisted living facility owners, administrators and the nurse participants. Evaluations by participating nurses indicate an:
- Enhanced RN-BC (board-certified) credential — greater sense of professional achievement and respect from physicians, other nurses, staff and administrators.
- Favorable perception of sponsoring facility — stronger intent to remain with facility.
- Significant increase in job confidence, self-esteem and procedures assuredness.
- High satisfaction with Gero Prep training — 94.4%.
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Gerontological Nursing Certification Exam pass rate of 96%.
In addition to successful completion of the RN Test Prep Program, the eligibility criteria for taking the Gerontological Certification exam includes verification of:
- Current active RN licensure in Louisiana without stipulations.
- Two years full-time practice as an RN.
- A minimum of 2,000 hours of gerontological nursing practice in last 3 years.
- Completion of 30 hours of continuing education in gerontological nursing within last 3 years — fully satisfied by this Gero Prep certification training program.
For more information on the application process for the LSNA Scholarships available, see the LSNA RN Test Prep Program Scholarship Application.